My ten favorite things about Wild Goose West, in no particular order:
- The kids waddling and bumping around the fairgrounds wearing robot costumes made from cardboard boxes.
- Brian McLaren’s introduction to the work of French anthropologist Rene Girard.
- Being with friends from Silverton Friends Church, The Burnside Writers Collective, and Parish Collective; unexpectedly seeing Shelley Bowers, Lori Ventola, and Donny Kunzer; and meeting new friends from Gresham, Corvallis, and Denver.
- The multi-sensory, remixed Quaker worship service facilitated by Rebecca Joy Tucker and built around the themes of exile and return.
- Spending a weekend outdoors with Kate.
- Early mornings alone in prayer and worship guided by the fantastic book Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals.
- Rachel Held Evans’s funny and subversive talk on her new book, A Year of Biblical Womanhood.
- Peter Illyn’s introduction to the important work of Restoring Eden.
- Meeting and briefly talking with Richard Twiss.
- Returning home with enough inspirations, questions, ideas, and challenges to last me until at least next year.